Dutch Oven Wild Turkey White Chili
This is one of my favorite recipes for wild turkey. I like my Dutch Oven Wild Turkey White Chili spicy and this has just the right kick! Get out there and do some spring turkey hunting so you can try it yourself!
Dutch Oven Wild Turkey White Chili Ingredients:
1 lb boneless, skinless wild turkey breast, chopped
Medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
Garlic cloves (2), minced
2 cans (14-ounce each) chicken broth
1 can (4-ounces) chopped green chilies*
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, drained, divided
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Sliced jalapeño pepper, optional
Dutch Oven Wild Turkey White Chili Directions:
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook turkey and onion in oil until lightly browned.
- Add Garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in broth, chilies, cumin, oregano and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- With a potato masher, mash one can of beans until smooth and add to saucepan.
- Add remaining beans to saucepan.
- Simmer for 20 – 30 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Top each serving with cheese and, if desired, jalapeño pepper.
“*” denotes a can that has different varieties of spice. If you cannot handle too hot, make sure you buy mild chilies, and adjust down the amount of cayenne.
Learn more about getting involved with the Big Game Conservation Association.